Starting a Physiotherapy Career in Australia - 6 Important Things to Do

If you are an internationally trained physiotherapist and are thinking of moving to Australia, here is a checklist of what you should have. There are many jobs for physiotherapists in Australia, especially in the Musculoskeletal specialty.

Sports physiotherapists also get lots of jobs because Australia is a sporting nation. Australians are also very conscious of being physically active so there are also lots of jobs that involve keeping seniors or the elderly mobile.

So what do you need to get an international job in Australia as a physical therapist?

                            Australian Higher Education Sector Visa (Subclass 573)

1. Your current practising licence as a physiotherapist or lifetime licence if applicable.

2. Get your official transcript from your graduating University of school of physiotherapy.

3. If you don't have your international passport yet, go get it.

4. Do your English Test. Very important. Australia accepts quite a number of English tests accredited to assess your English language proficiency:

Firstly, IELTS - International English Language Testing System. These tests hold weekly in over 120 countries of the world.
Get more information on how to book your tests, where to take your tests, dates for the next available tests and how much the IELTS test costs here

Then OET - Occupational English Test. This should be the exact English test health professionals should take but it's not available in as many countries as the IELTS, tests hold in only 30 countries.
For example, in Africa, Egypt is the only country you can do this test. Get more information about OET here

Then, one of my favourites, PTE Academic. For more information about test centers, how to book your test and preparation materials check here

                     6 Physiotherapy Masters Degree Courses in Canada

5. Apply to get your credentialing done by the APC (Australia Physiotherapy Council).
The APC assesses the credentials of overseas trained physiotherapists who want to practise in Australia.
You will most likely go through the "Standard Assessment Pathway" which comprises 3 stages:

  • Initial Assessment
  • Written Assessment
  • Clinical Assessment

The initial assessment is what you should concern yourself with for now, as once you pass this stage you will be issued an interim certificate which will enable you get a limited registration to work as a physiotherapist under supervision in Australia.

So here are the documents you need to submit for the APC initial assessment:

  • Your Physiotherapy Diploma or Degree certificate
  • Your transcript which contains information on all the courses you took through out the University
  • A copy of the bio data page on your passport as proof of your identification
  • If the name on your certificate (degree) has changed, then you should have a valid document like a marriage certificate to show this.
  • A copy of your most recent practising license
  • And of course, a processing fee of 1100AUD (Australian dollars). This fee is subject to change though

Once you have all these sign up on the APC website, upload scanned copies of all the listed documents above and also make the payment online.

Then send notarized hard copies of the above documents by post to the address given on their website.

When the APC is satisfied with your documents you will be eligible for the interim certificate, which is usually issued 2weeks after receiving the notarized hard copies of your documents.

                                  Working Abroad: Getting a Job in Singapore

6. Now you have your interim certificate which allows you to get a limited registration from the AHPRA. So you can get on a boat, sorry flight, and jump into Oz....well if you're not that adventurous you can join this group to relate with other internationally trained physiotherapists working in or desiring to work in Australia.

It's a very helpful nonprofit group and there's a lot to gain from there. Request to join the AAPTA ( Australian Alliance of Physiotherapists Trained Abroad). They've been on for 10years now and still waxing stronger. It's a great support group.

Send an email to to request to join the group

You will require a yahoo ID to join as this is a yahoo group (duh!)

We wish you all the best in getting your international job as a physiotherapist, don't forget to share with us how this information helped you.

BTW you will need you English test results when you want to register for limited registration with AHPRA or if you choose to take the immigration option.



  1. Can I get job in Australia right after I am done with my college and internship?

  2. There are Physiotherapy jobs in Australia, what matters is if you have your license to work.


Nice to hear from you!